Making her Broadway Debut in the Cher Show in NYC, this UCLA grad is no stranger to big stages including the Hollywood Bowl (Mamma Mia, A Chorus Line) and some of the yummiest Live musicals on TV including Hairspray Live and Grease Live. In Southern California, Tiana Okoye was Disney’s first Black Elsa in FROZEN: Live at the Hyperion. You can catch her on The Good Place and HBO’s Silicon Valley. With the curls and body of a goddess, you’re gonna wanna stalk the crap out of her.
Follow Tiana Okoye: @tee_ohhh
Follow Salisha Thomas: @salishathomas
Follow Black Hair in the Big Leagues: @blackhairpodcast
Want some podcast perks? Follow Salisha Thomas on Patreon and support Black Hair in the Big Leagues to help keep us going.
Part of the Broadway Podcast Network
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices.
- From Southern California
- The Good Place, no stranger to the Hollywood Bowl, Grease Live, Hairspray Live, The Cher Show
- Ghetto Gangnam Style
- Started wearing natural hair in sophomore year of college
- This is when her mom stopped paying for her hair to be chemically straightened
- Did not like Brazilian Blowout
- Perms burnt scalp
- Not a fan of DevaCurl
- Liked Cantu, Shea Moisture, and Renpure Products (these are also very affordable!!)
- Recently started using Pattern by Tracee Ellis Ross
- These products make her hair happy!
- Wanted her hair straight because it was like her mom’s
- Hair was not fitting for her until she begun to embrace her curls
- People in the industry have told her “it’s too much” and ask her to put her hair up
- Didn’t realize it was rude/a micro-aggression until later
- First black Elsa in Frozen at Disneyland’s Hyperion Theater
- Liesl Tommy (Director)
- Tone of women’s ensemble sets the tone of the building
- Barry’s Bootcamp
- The more we put out our hair, the less inclined people will be to pet it
- Embrace your curls!
- Instagram: @Tee_ohhh