Tony-Award Winning Scenic Designer, Derek McLane, chats about his unexpected route to Broadway, his creative processes leading to some of the most captivating designs in NYC, and more!
“Broadway will flourish again, it always does”
Derek is the genius visionary behind some of Broadway’s most intricate, beautiful sets, including; Moulin Rouge, MJ: The Musical, Hairspray LIVE, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, Almost Famous, A Soldier’s Play and so much more. On top of his award-winning theatrical designs, he has also worked on the designs for several Oscar Awards creating some magical award show moments. Throughout his career, he has lent so much knowledge of architecture and detail to create captivating moments that last months with audiences (like it has with me).
In this episode, you can hear Derek chat about
- His experience and attitude towards Educational Theatre and the pivotal stepping stones to Broadway!
- Advice from throughout his career that shaped him to be the designer he is today.
- The process behind Broadway set designs that has proven to be successful with his work
- Moulin Rouge and the accidental transformation of Boston’s Emerson Colonial Theatre and Broadway’s Al Hirschfeld
- His new book written with Eila Mell celebrating his craft and colleagues
- And so much more!
You can check out Derek’s book here!
Instagram – @derekmclane
Thank you so much for your support!!
I hope that this show continues to be a resource for artists of all interests to find the place they deserve in this wonderful industry…
Join me for future interviews and content below!
Facebook: Real Talk with Mason Bray
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices