Starring opposite each other in the national tour of The Prom, Kaden Kearney and Kalyn West talk about what it’s like to be part of the award-winning musical. With Kalyn being a part of the Broadway cast and Kaden being relatively newer to the scene, the two talk about their experience going on a national tour during a pandemic and the challenges they faced, including rehearsing (and dancing hard!) with their masks on. Kalyn shares her story of how her love for theatre started and moving to New York to pursue her dreams. Kaden recalls their experience watching The Prom on Broadway and begging their manager to get her an audition for the movie when it came out. While not a trained dancer it didn’t stop Kaden from doing musicals and auditioning for The Prom. Kalyn and Kaden also talk about what it was like to develop a rapport and how it was easy for them to work with each other. The two reflect on their experiences with the audiences, and what it feels like to be part of a show that tackles important issues and teaches you empathy.
Kalyn has been in many productions, from regional to Broadway. She was on the first national tour of Mean Girls, and some of her credits include Moby Dick and The Prom. Her TV and film credits include Imitation Girl, Blue Bloods, and The Times. Kaden, has recently attended the University of California, Irvine and received their Master’s of Fine Arts. They have done a number of shows and some of their credits include A Midsummer Night’s Dream, One Man Two Guvnors, Agent 355, and the TV series, Prodigal Son.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Kalyn auditioning for The Prom in 2018 and understudying Alyssa
- Doing self-tape for auditions
- The rehearsal process during a pandemic and why Kalyn missed it
- Kaden accidentally going onstage with their mask on
Connect with Kaden and Kalyn:
- Website: www.kalynwest.com
- Twitter: @kadenokearney
- Instagram: @kadenokearney & @misskurlykay
- Find tickets to The Prom
Connect with The Theatre Podcast:
- Support us on Patreon: Patreon.com/TheTheatrePodcast
- Twitter & Instagram: @theatre_podcast
- TikTok: @thetheatrepodcast
- Alan’s personal Instagram: @alanseales
- Email me at email@example.com. I want to know what you think.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices