Bernie Telsey is one of the biggest names in the business. You may not see him on stage but he has introduced the world to some of the biggest names on Broadway. He and his team at Telsey + Company have cast literally hundreds of Broadway, off-Broadway, and regional productions, in addition to your favorite TV shows and movies, and more. He is also one of the co-creators of MCC Theatre, which he started right after graduating NYU. Bernie got his big break after casting one the most beloved musicals, Rent, and started a casting trend that almost single handedly changed the face of the industry, and helped to bring the large volume of filming tv, film, and commercials to New York City that we see today.
Among many things, we cover:
- The behind the scenes of casting a show and how it is different for each genre
- Starting MCC Theatre with friends from college
- Getting his big break casting Rent, after trying to not do it
- How the internet has helped (and hurt) how shows are cast these days
- What it takes to run bi-coastal, massive casting agency
- How he helped usher in a new wave of Broadway and changed the industry
- Advice on how to get seen in this business, and the proper way to submit yourself to casting agents
Connect with Bernie
Connect with The Theatre Podcast:
- Support us on Patreon: Patreon.com/TheTheatrePodcast
- Twitter & Instagram: @theatre_podcast
- Alan’s personal Instagram: @alanseales
- Email me at [email protected] I want to know what you think.
Thank you to our friends Jukebox The Ghost for our intro and outro music. You can find them on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook @jukeboxtheghost or via the web via jukeboxtheghost.com.
A very special thanks to our patrons who help make this podcast possible!
Cheryl Hodges-Selden, Paul Seales, David Seales
If you would like to see your name in this show notes or get a shout out on the pod itself, visit ttp.fm/patreon to become a member and show your support!