Steven Sater is a two time Tony Award winning, Olivier Award winning, and Grammy Award winning, writer and author of shows such as Murder at the Gates, Alice by Heart, and of course, Spring Awakening. He is now also the author of Alice by Heart the novel, being released on Feb 4th, 2020.
Born in Evansville Indiana, Steven didn’t have a childhood like most. An injury left him bed ridden where he taught himself ancient greek and started writing his first plays. This has now resulted in some of the most beloved musicals of all time, such as Spring Awakening. His latest project is the release of his new book, based off of his musical, Alice by Heart, inspired by the story of Alice in Wonderland.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Growing up as a ‘bubble boy’, being unable to attend school
- Jumping off a 3rd floor balcony in college to escape a fire
- His life at Princeton University, and how it pointed him towards his career
- How he keeps himself centered, and his involvement in Soka Gakkai International where he met both his wife and Duncan Sheik
- Where the idea for Spring Awakening came from
Connect with Seven
Connect with The Theatre Podcast:
- Support us on Patreon: Patreon.com/TheTheatrePodcast
- Twitter & Instagram: @theatre_podcast
- Alan’s personal Instagram: @alanseales
- Email me at email@example.com. I want to know what you think.
Thank you to our friends Jukebox The Ghost for our intro and outro music. You can find them on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook @jukeboxtheghost or via the web via jukeboxtheghost.com.
A very special thanks to our patrons who help make this podcast possible!
Cheryl Hodges-Selden, Paul Seales, David Seales
If you would like to see your name in this show notes or get a shout out on the pod itself, visit ttp.fm/patreon to become a member and show your support!