To watch the video version of this episode, click here.
Kathryn Gallagher is an amazing singer/songwriter who made her Broadway debut in 2015 in the Deaf West revival of Spring Awakening. She stars as Annika Atwater in the show YOU on Netflix, and is currently starring as Bella in Jagged Little Pill on Broadway!
This interview was filmed entirely on the floors of our respective houses during the #socialdistancing COVID-19 outbreak. In her own words, she’s been “preparing for quarantine her whole life.” Aside from discussing the obvious, we go deep into her own psyche, how playing Bella has helped her work through her own past trauma, and how Spring Awakening also fell in her lap, thus changing her life. At a young age, Kathryn was always performing — she put on “shows” for her invisible audience while brushing her teeth as a child (and maybe even last week!).
In this episode, we talk about:
- How the #metoo movement and sexual assault awareness began while they were workshopping JLP, thus changing the core character breakdown
- How her photo shoot with Tyler Shields helped her regain a decade of lost body image confidence
- The incredible story of [almost not] booking her Broadway debut in Spring Awakening (2015)
- Her love/hate relationship with social media
- Why she puts mushrooms in her coffee
- The catharsis that is her experience working through her own past trauma in Jagged Little Pill
Connect with Kathryn:
Connect with The Theatre Podcast:
- Support us on Patreon: Patreon.com/TheTheatrePodcast
- Twitter & Instagram: @theatre_podcast
- Alan’s personal Instagram: @alanseales
- Email me at email@example.com. I want to know what you think.
Thank you to our friends Jukebox The Ghost for our intro and outro music. You can find them on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook @jukeboxtheghost or via the web via jukeboxtheghost.com.
A very special thanks to our patrons who help make this podcast possible!
Cheryl Hodges-Selden, Paul Seales, David Seales
If you would like to see your name in this show notes or get a shout out on the pod itself, visit ttp.fm/patreon to become a member and show your support!