On this week’s episode, the Friends react to the Lincoln Project’s ad that compares the president to Evita. It’s called Covita. It’s pretty terrifying. Then they review two shows-turned-movies/TV. The first is Ryan Murphy’s film version of The Boys in the Band, the 1968 play by Mart Crowley, which chronicles the lives of gay men living in New York City pre-Stonewall. It’s on Netflix. Then they talk about The Goes Wrong Show, which is based on The Play That Goes Wrong by Mischief Theatre, which ran on Broadway 2017 to 2019. The show on Amazon Prime
This week’s guests are Eva Noblezada (Hadestown) and Tony winner Lea Salonga (Miss Saigon, Once on This Island). Eva is starring in Yellow Rose, a new film about an undocumented teenager whose mother is taken away by ICE. Lea plays her aunt. The two actors talk about their love of video games, how they’re both actually a bit introverted, and how they’re making money during quarantine.
Here are links to the things mentioned in this episode:
- The Lincoln Project’s Covita ad; it’s terrifying.
- The Boys in the Band on Netflix
- The Goes Wrong Show on Amazon Prime
- Harriett D. Foy told us she’s a fan of The Play That Goes Wrong, here’s our interview with her.
- Fires in the Mirror, which Michael Benjamin Washington starred in; he’s also in Boys in the Band and doesn’t get nearly enough to do.
- Get our virtual movie tickets to Yellow Rose here.
- The original song Eva Noblezada sings in Yellow Rose.
- Eva’s podcast: The Amarillo Project.
- Lea Salonga’s PBS concert on Nov. 27.
- Patreon shoutout: Luisa Lyons, who is building a database of stage musicals that have been legally filmed and publicly shared, plus there’s a podcast: www.filmedlivemusicals.com. Welcome fellow theater podcaster!
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices