The Friends recorded on June 7. This week is a very special episode because there’s not one, but TWO, podcast episodes. In the planning for this week, Diep and Jose realized that they had too much content and they didn’t want to cut any of it. So this week will be a two-parter. Part one is an interview with George Salazar and part two will be a discussion of Hamilton on Disney+.
George Salazar is the beloved actor behind Be More Chill on Broadway. He also starred in a buzzy revival of Little Shop of Horrors in 2019, opposite MJ Rodriguez. Salazar has been doing a lot during his COVID: he sang in a Pride virtual concert in June and hosted his own weekly talk show (which he’s currently revamping and planning on bringing back). He came onto the podcast to talk about the upcoming Night of a Thousand Judys concert and his late-in-life love for Judy Garland. Plus, Salazar also talks about why he criticized the Tony Awards on Twitter.
Here are links to things that Friends talked about in this episode.
- Night of a Thousand Judys
- Sundays on the Couch with George
- George Salazar’s tweet thread about the Tony Awards
- George Salazar and MJ Rodriguez perform “Suddenly Seymour” on the James Corden Show
- Diep’s essay about Little Shop of Horrors (that Salazar read and loved)
- Adopt a State with Vote Save America (Salazar has adopted Florida)
- Salazar’s Instagram account where he posts a lot of stories
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/tokentheatrefriends?fan_landing=true)