You’re never too old to make your Broadway debut!
- Emilie Kouatchou made her debut as the first Black Christine Daaé on Broadway in The Phantom of The Opera. She will play Christine this week on Wednesday, November 3rd, Thursday, November 4th, and Saturday November 6th’s matinee. Next week she’ll lead on Monday November 8th, Thursday the 11th’s matinee and Saturday the 13th’s matinee. The following week she’ll play on Monday November 15th, Thursday the 18th and Saturday the 20th’s matinee. And during the last week of November she’ll play on Monday the 22nd, Thursday the 25th and Saturday the 27th to round out the month.
- Audra McDonald is coming back to Broadway in Adrienne Kennedy’s Ohio State Murders. This will make Kennedy’s Broadway playwriting debut at the age of 90. Ohio State Murders will be directed by Tony Award winner Kenny Leon, who last directed A Soldier’s Play before the Broadway shutdown.
- We received a first look at Celina Smith as Annie in the upcoming Annie Live on NBC. Joined by Sandy the dog, the picture features Smith in Annie’s iconic red dress. The photo also included Harry Connick Jr. as Daddy Warbucks and Taraji P. Henson as Miss Hannigan. The live musical will air on NBC on December 2nd. Right in time for the holidays.
- The iconic Broadway snow globes have arrived back to Times Square. The “show globes” portray scenes inspired by Ain’t Too Proud—The Life and Times of the Temptations, Dear Evan Hansen, The Lion King, and Wicked. They will be on display through December 26 in the Broadway Plaza between 45th and 46th Streets.
- According to the Hollywood Reporter, Universal Studio’s adaptation of Wicked was set to begin shooting in March in Atlanta. But the production’s start has now been pushed to June, and it will relocate to the U.K. Reports are saying the delay will allow the filmmakers to get production efficiencies in-line, as Wicked will be the first production to shoot on stages at Universal’s recently built Sky Studios in Elstree. Jon M. Chu is set to direct.
- Times Square is getting an exciting new performance space. The new indoor/outdoor stage is part of TSX Broadway, a 46-story tower currently under construction in Duffy Square at 1568 Broadway, between 46th and 47th Streets and is expected to be completed by the first quarter of 2023.
- Adrienne Warren took her final bow as Tina Turner on Halloween. She originated the role in London in 2018. She is now moving on after a deserved TONY Award and much praise. Nkeki Obi-Melekwe will now fill the role of Tina full time.
- Alex Hairston, Libby Lloyd, Anthony Murphy, Kristen Faith Oei and Michael Williams will join the cast of Diana for its return to Broadway next month. As previously announced, Jeanna de Waal will star as Diana, alongside Roe Hartrampf as Prince Charles, Erin Davie as Camilla Parker Bowles and Judy Kaye as Queen Elizabeth. “Diana” is scheduled to resume preview performances at the Longacre Theatre on Nov. 2 ahead of an opening night on Nov. 17.
- Spring Awakening, will reunite for a special, one-night-only benefit concert. The concert will star original cast members Skylar Astin, Gerard Canonico, Lilli Cooper, Jennifer Damiano, Christine Eastbrook, John Gallagher, Jr., Gideon Glick, Jonathan Groff, Robert Hager, Brian Johnson, Lea Michele, Lauren Pritchard, Krysta Rodriguez, Stephen Spinella, Phoebe Strole, Jonny B. Wright, and Remy Zaken. Directed by the original director, Michael Mayer, the concert will take place on Monday, November 15 at 7 pm ET at The Imperial Theatre. The theater is the current home of Ain’t Too Proud – The Life and Times of the Temptations.
Follow @BwayPodNetwork on Twitter. Find co-hosts on Twitter at @AyannaPrescod, @CLewisReviews, and @TheMartinAcuna.
Tickets for Is This A Room and Dana H. playing in rep at the Lyceum Theatre on Broadway are on sale NOW! Purchase HERE!
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices