The best SNL. Ever.
- The Broadway cast of A STRANGE LOOP will feature Jaquel Spivey, in his Broadway debut, as Usher. He joins original cast members Antwayn Hopper (Thought 6), L Morgan Lee (Thought 1), John-Michael Lyles (Thought 3), James Jackson, Jr. (Thought 2), John-Andrew Morrison (Thought 4), and Jason Veasey (Thought 5). A Strange Loop follows Usher: a Black, queer writer writing a musical about a Black, queer writer writing a musical about a Black, queer writer. The Pulitzer prize winning play is written by Michael R. Jackson. Previews will begin at Broadway’s Lyceum Theatre on Wednesday, April 6, 2022, and opening night is set for Tuesday, April 26, 2022.
- To Kill A Mockingbird ended its run this past Sunday at the Shubert Theatre and plans to move to the Belasco Theatre this June. The move follows the news that Girl from the North Country will close at the Belasco Theatre on Jan. 23, with plans for spring return at another theater. To Kill a Mockingbird begins performances at the Belasco on June 1, with Greg Kinnear returning as Atticus Finch.
- The Off-Broadway hit The Wrong Man from Ross Golan has become the world’s first non-fungible token (NFT) musical. The digital collectibles available to buy will be a mix of music, graphics, and film, including the full animated musical, vinyl, posters featuring artwork from the musical, and a previously unreleased track from Golan. In addition, a new production of the musical is in the works for a 2023 premiere.
- The Kite Runner, a new play with music based on Khaled Hosseini’s internationally best-selling novel, will play a limited run at Broadway’s Hayes Theater this summer. The production comes to New York from two seasons in London’s West End where it was called “a cultural phenomenon” by The Sunday Express and “an enthralling tale beautifully told” by The Daily Telegraph. Performances will begin on July 6; opening night is July 21 and it will run through October 30.
- Jack Viertel has retired as senior vice president of Jujamcyn Theaters after 34 years with the company.
- Lyricist Tim Rice said on his podcast, Get Onto My Cloud that a Broadway revival of Chess, his 1986 musical written with composers Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, is on its way and a team is in place.
- Shoshana Bean will join the Broadway cast of Mr. Saturday Night, producers announced last week. The production will start previews on March 29, 2022, ahead of an April 27 opening.
- Broadway’s Tony-winning Moulin Rouge! The Musical welcomes Eric Anderson as Harold Zidler beginning this week! Danny Burstein, who earned Tony and Outer Critics Circle Awards as well as the Drama League Award for Distinguished Performance, played his final performance last week.
- Nick Rashad Burroughs will take over the role of Ike in the Broadway company of Tina. Burroughs is currently in the musical’s ensemble and will play the role starting this week. Daniel J. Watts, who originated the role, played his final performance last week. Burroughs has previously appeared on Broadway in “Kinky Boots” and “King Kong.”
- John Earl Jelks will join the Broadway cast of “Birthday Candles,” starring alongside Debra Messing. John replaces Andre Braugher, who had been set to make his Broadway debut with the show in 2020.
Follow @BwayPodNetwork on Twitter. Find co-hosts on Twitter at @AyannaPrescod, @CLewisReviews, and @TheMartinAcuna. Subscribe To BPN’s newsletter HERE.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices