- Ariana DeBose was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Anita in West Side Story. DeBose’s nomination follows Rita Moreno’s historic 1961 Oscar win, playing the same role in the earlier film adaptation. Lin-Manuel Miranda received a Best Song nomination for his “Dos Oruguitas” from Encanto, a nod that could achieve EGOT status. Miranda’s screen adaptation of Jonathan Larson’s biomusical tick, tick…BOOM! was recognized, with Broadway alum Andrew Garfield getting a nomination for Best Actor for his performance as Larson.
- Tony nominee Amber Gray will play her final performance as Persephone in Hadestown February 19. Casting for the role of Persephone will be announced shortly.
- A musical adaptation of “Smash” is setting its sights on Broadway! The musical, based on the NBC television show, will feature a book by Bob Martin and Rick Elice and a score from Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, who wrote original songs for the television show. Steven Spielberg, Robert Greenblatt and Neil Meron, all of whom worked on the television show, will produce the new musical. Production dates have not yet been announced.
- The Public Theater recently announced the line-up for the 60th Anniversary Season of Free Shakespeare in the Park at The Delacorte Theater. This summer, Free Shakespeare in the Park will begin with the drama Richard III, directed by Tony nominee Robert O’Hara and featuring Danai Gurira in the title role. The season will continue with the return of the free Public Works musical adaptation of As You Like It after it was originally scheduled for the 2020 season, but delayed due to the pandemic. Adapted by Public Theater Artist-in-Residence Shaina Taub and Director of Public Works Laurie Woolery, with music and lyrics by Shaina Taub.
- Color Purple movie musical casting including American Idol winner Fantasia Barrino has been cast as Celie. It’s a reprise of a role she held on Broadway in 2009. Tony nominee Danielle Brooks will take on the role of Sofia. She also starred in a different revival of The Color Purple on Broadway. Fantasia and Brooks will join the previously reported Taraji P. Henson as Shug Avery, Corey Hawkins as Harpo, Oscar and Grammy winner H.E.R. as Squeak, Halle Bailey as Young Nettie, and stage and screen star Colman Domingo as Mister.
- Full casting has been announced for the Broadway revival of Neil Simon’s Plaza Suite starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick. Tony winner John Benjamin Hickey directs the production, which will now begin previews February 25 at the Hudson Theatre for a limited engagement through June 26. Opening night is set for March 28. Joining Parker and Broderick in Suite 719 of the Plaza Hotel will be Danny Bolero as The Waiter, Molly Ranson as Jean McCormick/Mimsey Hubley, and Eric Wiegand as The Bellhop/Borden Eisler. Tony winner Michael McGrath and Tony nominee Erin Dilly will standby for Broderick and Parker, respectively, with Laurie Veldheer and Cesar J. Rosado serving as understudies.
- The upcoming Broadway revival of Funny Girl has unveiled the complete company as they begin their official first day of rehearsals. The production, starring Beanie Feldstein as Fanny Brice and Tony and Olivier nominee Rameen Karimloo as Nick Arnstein, begins March 26 at the August Wilson Theatre ahead of an April 24 opening night. Additional previously announced cast members include Jared Grimes as Eddie Ryan, and Emmy winner Jane Lynch as Mrs. Rosie Brice. They will be joined by Peter Francis James as Florenz Ziegfeld, Ephie Aardema as Emma/Mrs. Nadler, Debra Cardona as Mrs. Meeker, Toni DiBuono as Mrs. Strakosh, Martin Moran as Tom Keeney, and Julie Benko as the standby for Fanny Brice.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices