With the recent controversy surrounding Whoopi Goldberg and her remarks about the Holocaust, with the recent hostage situation at a Texas synagogue, with generational trauma and anti-Semitism on the brain, Why We Theater re-releases this episode from Season 1 with a new intro and new context.
Dig into Tony Award winner Steven Levenson’s play IF I FORGET with Steven himself and experts Rabbi Shuli Passow (B’nai Jeshurun in New York City) and scholar Judah Isseroff.
Watch IF I FORGET on BroadwayHD.
Michael’s monologue, as performed by Tony Award nominee Jeremy Shamos, appears with the permission of Roundabout Theatre Company, which premiered IF I FORGET Off-Broadway in 2017, and Steven Levenson.
Referred to in this new intro
- Watch: Whoopi Goldberg shares thoughts on the Holocaust on The View
- Debra Messing tweets a helpful response to Goldberg
- Banning of “Maus” in schools…. and the subsequent nationwide results
- Hostage situation at Texas synagogue
- Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, PA
- What is Zionism?
Referred to in this episode
- “The Rise of Social Orthodoxy: A Personal Account” by Jay P. Lefkowitz
- “The Problem with ‘Social Orthodoxy’” by Joshua R. Fattal, a critical response to Lefkowitz
- “What is the Talmud? Definition and Comprehensive Guide”, Yehuda Shurpin
- Who is Theodore Herzl?
- Who is David Ben-Gurion?
- Who is Sheldon Adelson?
- Who is “Adolf Eichmann”?
- Who is Hannah Arendt
- Anti-Defamation League: Fighting Hate for Good
- What is Jerusalem Syndrome”?
Create the change
- Learn more about Judaism — knowledge facilitates compassion with “Introduction to Judaism” OR “The Basics of Judaism”
- Name anti-Semitic incidents as such, report them, and speak out against them
- Use Ten Ways to Fight Hate: A Community Response Guide
- Learn about The New Israel Fund, which envisions a Jewish and democratic state
- Fight for justice guided by Jewish values with Jews for Racial and Economic Justice (JFREJ)
- Be aware of your own bias — it’s evolutionarily built in us to be tribal and we need to self-examine our thoughts and introduce dissenting viewpoints
- If you are Jewish and looking for ways to become involved:
- Choose a small tradition and incorporate that into your home, like lighting candles on Friday night for Shabat or saying the “Shema” before bed each night
- Take inspiration from B’nai Jeshurun’s The Jewish Home Project
- In COVID, many synagogues have moved services online; explore to find a place that feels right to you
Why We Theater is a product of part of the Broadway Podcast Network, edited by Derek Gunther, and produced by Alan Seales.
Follow us @whywetheater on Instagram & Twitter.
Our theme music is by Benjamin Velez. Hear more at BenjaminVelez.com.
Our logo is by Christina Minopoli. See more at MinopoliDesign.com.
Special thanks to Genesis Johnson, Dori Berinstein, Leigh Silverman, Patrick Taylor, Tony Montenieri, Elena Mayer, Wesley Birdsall, and Suzanne Chipkin.
Connect with Ruthie!
Instagram: @ruthiefierceberg / @whywetheater
Twitter: @RuthiesATrain / @whywetheater
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices