The Broadway League’s first Chief Diversity Officer, Gennean Scott, joins Real Talk to discuss her definition behind the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion fields, her day-to-day operations, representation, Black excellence, and much more relating to her impactful work across the industry.
Gennean is no stranger to the business side of theatre – getting her start in inclusion with the Omaha Performing Arts Center and following her passion and using her voice to inspire change throughout our industry and the surrounding businesses to encourage diversity and opportunity. In 2020, she became the Broadway League’s first Director of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and was recently retitled to be their Chief Diversity Officer. She also hosts The Black Business of Broadway on the Broadway Podcast Network, highlighting Black creatives across all facets of Broadway to showcase the opportunities available on and off stage for BIPOC artists.
In this episode, Gennean and I discuss:
- Her definition of each Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion as it relates to the mission of her position
- The personal passion behind her fight to make Broadway a widely acceptable medium
- Why she wants to lay the foundation for future generations of Theatre artists
- Examples of representation in new media, sparking joy in young artists of color across the nation (specifically Halle Bailey in The Little Mermaid)
- Her belief that there is room for all of us at the table and in the realm of Broadway…
- And much more!!
Check out Gennean’s work and more on her social media!
💕 This week has hurt so much for many of us in Indiana, but I hope that we can come together and take a breath of hope – we will get through this as a community, and that is the basis for my constant devotion to making sure people are accepted into our business as a way to breathe fresh air and make connections with people on a new level.
Thank you so much for being here and for your support!!
I hope that this show continues to be a resource for artists of all interests to find the place they deserve in this wonderful industry…
Join me for future interviews and content below!
Facebook: Real Talk with Mason Bray