Performance is as much science as it is art says this week’s guest, Javier Muñoz. But Javier also knows that the Universe is vast and always looking out for him.
Javier is one of the kindest, most sincere people on Broadway and this conversation is filled with beautiful moments so don’t miss a second.
With stage credits that include the 2006 New York Musical Theatre Festival's off-Broadway show hit All Is Love, In the Heights, and of course Hamilton (where he took over for Lin-Manual Miranda and earned the title of “Sexy Hamilton”). TV and film credits include of course the 2021 release of In the Heights, Blindspot, Odd Mom Out, Shadow Vaults, Eureka!, Central Park, Quantico, and Full Frontal with Samantha Bee. He is now starring alongside Jessie Mueller in My Heart Says Go, a musical concept album which is available for streaming now.
- Make sure to follow this podcast everywhere you find podcasts, leave a rating and a review, and slip into our Instagram DMs at @wasitchance.
- More about Heather via @heather_ vickeryandco on Instagram and Threads, @Braveheather on TikTok, and listen to The Brave Files
- More about Alan via @theatre_podcast on Instagram and listen to The Theatre Podcast with Alan Seales
- Although Javier is the youngest of three, he didn’t reap the benefits of that position.
- From an early age, Javier recorded “Fame” and learned the dance moves and mashed them with popular music, and created his own music videos.
- In 5th grade, Javier went on his first camping trip and discovered a true night sky filled with stars and it fully changed him. From there his dream was Astro Physicist and study Astronomy.
- Science is just exploration, curiosity, and asking questions and that’s exactly was a good actor does with a script.
- Javier was a first-generation college student.
- Mentors are, literally, everything!
- It took Javier a long time to become introspective and really look inside himself.
- In 2002 Javier got HIV and couldn’t book a gig for anything so he quit the business and took a job at a high-end restaurant in Hell’s Kitchen.
- He decided to do this one last show that his friend Josh has written and while in the rehearsal room, he meets someone who wants him to audition for In The Heights.
- He agrees to do two weeks at Manhattan Theatre Club. Unfortunately, his part in the show got cut and this lead to him taking over the lead after Lin-Manuel Miranda
- Next thing you know Lin-Manuel Miranda put Javier through “rap school.”
- When it came time for Hamilton, Javier and Lin teamed up again to create the character of Alexander Hamilton.
- Javier got a direct offer to do My Heart Says Go and he took it without even seeing the music and script.
- Whatever you chose is right, because you chose it.
- When things don’t work out or go my way I really do trust that it’s for a reason.