The conflict between Israelis and Palestinians in the Middle East erupted yet again in May 2021. The violence and fight for land and rights goes back thousands of years, though the State of Israel was established in 1948. Meanwhile, thousands have lost their lives and more continue to suffer. It’s considered the unsolvable conflict. But is peace in the Middle East truly impossible?
Tony Award winner J.T. Rogers, experts Aziz Abu Sarah (National Geographic Explorer, TED Fellow, peace-builder) and Libby Lenkinski (New Israel Fund) and host Ruthie Fierberg discuss the approach to peace in the context of Rogers’ play and HBO film Oslo, how things have changed since Oslo Peace Accords, possible solutions, and, most importantly, how to ease the suffering of Israelis and Palestinians now.
Create the change
- Listen to the new podcast “Groundwork”, a collaboration between the NIF and AMEP, to hear current stories from the region and activism on the ground.
- Take a MEDJI tour.
- Read Aziz’s book “Crossing Boundaries - A Traveler’s Guide To World Peace”
- Listen to accounts from the Parents Circle and donate.
- Seek out Combatants for Peace and donate.
- Watch this discussion between an Israeli woman and Palestinian woman, who each lost a child in the conflict.
- Understand the conflict history rather than choosing sides based on religion, ethnicity, or preconceived notions.
- Read stories from multiple perspectives.
From Palestinian authors:
- Palestinian Walks by Raja Shehadeh
- The 100 Years War on Palestine by Rashid Khalidi
- Salt Houses by Hala Alyan
- Justice for Some: Law and the Question of Palestine by Noura Erakat
- Memory For Forgetfulness by Mahmoud Darwish
From Israeli authors:
- All the Rivers by Dorit Rabinyan
- The Art of Leaving by Ayelet Tsabari
- Sadness is a White Bird by Moriel Rothman
- The Wall and the Gate by Michael Sfard
- To the End of the Land by David Grossman
From non-Israeli/non-Palestinian authors:
- Kingdoms of Olive and Ash edited by Michael Chabon and Ayelet Waldman
- Apiergon by Colum McCann
- Dinner at the Center of the Earth by Nathan Englander
- Can We Talk About Israel? by Daniel Sokatch (out October 19)
About Our Guests:
Ruthie Fierberg, Host
J.T. Rogers, playwright
Aziz Abu Sarah, guest expert
Libby Lenkinski, guest expert
Read full bios here.
Referred to in this episode
- “Everything You Need to Know About Israel-Palestine” via Vox.com
- Map of present-day Israel
- Who are Yitzhak Rabin and Yasser Arafat?
- What were the Intifadas?
- New Israel Fund
- National Geographic’s “The Conflict Zone” video series hosted by Aziz Abu Sarah
- The Elders
- South Africa’s Freedom Charter
- Aziz’s run for Mayor of Jerusalem
- Palestine Walks by Raja Shehadeh